When I was a kid, growing up in a small town, the annual stockshow was always the weekend around my birthday. We always had Friday off from school for the stockshow, but I was convinced it was for my birthday. I’ve never quite gotten over the fact that we don’t automatically get a day off for our birthdays. I’m also disappointed in a few other realities of things we do or don’t get on our birthdays. So, in honor of my own birthday, I’ve compiled a list of the “10 Rules I Think Everyone Should Observe on Their Birthday…”
1. You have an automatic day off on your birthday – from school, from work, from any and all responsibilities.
2. You don’t have to do anything you don’t want to do.
3. You don’t have to pick up after yourself (someone else does it for you so it’s not there for you to pick up tomorrow).
4. Calories don’t count for you and anyone celebrating with you.
5. Everyone knows it’s your birthday and treat you nice – like let you go in line before them at the store or slow down in traffic so you can merge easily.
6. You get presents, no matter how old you are.
7. You also get money so you can go shopping…
8. Your friends and family call, email, text, or Facebook you, en masse, with wonderful birthday wishes.
9. Eat cake.
10. Thank God that you were born.